Zam Time


FINALLY I AM ABLE TO UPDATE.

First off NEW ADDRESS:

Garrett LaCivita
PC Zambia
PO BOX 410374
Kasama, Zambia, Africa

Sorry for those who may have been reading and found nothing new to look at for the last month.  There is not accessable internet in Zambia except for my provinical house, which is currently where I am right now.

So some background info on the last month, we (the 18 of us, sadly one has dropped out already) have been very busy.  Our day consists of 4 hours of language training monday through saturday monrings from 8 - 12.  And its suprising how quickly we learn it, I had a dream in Bemba the other night which was kinda weird.  After that we go back and help with lunch with our families and then its off to the ponds/tech center from 1345 - 16/1700.  This half of the day can consist of anything from learning to ride a bike with 50 lbs of water/fish hooked on to the back, fish anatomy and pond construction, to HIV/AIDS and malaria training and workshops, and cross cultural training (ex: what to do at a Zambian funeral or how dating in precieved here).  After that its usually chilling out with friends at the market, bar, or playing frisbee until about 1830 then we head home for dinner.  I am usually asleep by 2200.

A quick demo of Bemba for you all.  Keep in mind this language is crazy unrelated to English, with the exception of some words that have been "corrupted" as they say.  For example, ocean = osheni, goal keeper = go kipa, window = iwindow, horse = hosi.  So theres a good chance that if you dont know the word just make it up as you go; youre probably pretty close.

Ishina lyandi nine Garrett.  Mkwisa ndi ku America, mu Washington DC.  Ilyo nshilaingila mu Peace Corps nalebomba mu Arizona ku USFS nalemoneka ifipululu.  Ndesambilila pafya bulimi bwe sabi elyo ukukabushanya intambi.  (My name is Garrett.  I am from Washington DC in America.  Before PC I was working in Arizona with the USFS looking for owls.  Now I am learning about fish farming and about other cultures).

Its really been just a whirlwind of a time here and I am shocked that pre training is almost over.  Kinda of terrified to have to go and stake/construct my own ponds, I really dont want to tell people how to do the wrong thing.  But we all agree that even though its gone by so quickly we feel like weve known each other for a lot longer. Zam time is kinda messing with our heads.

So for this week, I am in the Kasama district in the Northern Providence, where I will be posted for the next two years.  Btw, Kasama is a 10 hr car ride from Lusaka. Ugh. For 5 days well be with a host volunteer going around the area and getting used to things, and staying at the provincial house - which is a community house only for PCVs that youre welcome to stay at for travel, days off, holidays, birthday ect, and our house is beautiful I wisih I could show pictures. Anyway after 5 days with our host, we split up into our individual village sites and get an intro to our new community.  I THOUGHT i was 60 km west of Kasama but someone said I might be north? Im not sure but I guess Ill find out soon.  My counterpart - who is like your go-to guy for questions, hosting you in the village, and helps put on workshops and talk to farmers with you - is super nice.  Hes a farmer and has 1 fish pond and is also on the security and health commity from the village.  I believe my area is about 10 km from the tarmac (paved road) but I am so excited to see what my hut looks like.  Ive already ordered a bed and a couch for it and Im getting a list together of things I may need. 

So a little about Zambia is general.  There are absolutely no animals here besides cats, dogs, and livestock.  I have literally seen 1 rat and some lizards.  Everything else stays in the park/reserves or else its food.  Kinda sad really.  You forget youre in Africa until you go by a river and notice the crocodiles.  Everyone is super nice and friendly, which is good and bad, there are days when you really dont want to talk to EVERY person you see and when you want to chill with a beer and play Rummy you dont want everyone coming up to introduce themselves and be super interested in you.  In these occasions they are usually a little more than drunk and just talk way to much as well.   Most of the roads are dirt, except for the exceptional cross country roads to and from Lusaka - like the "Great North Road" no joke thats its name.   Its really green here, and when it rains it POURS, although rainy season is pretty much over at this point and sadly we are entering what is termed the "hunger season".

I hope Ill be able to post pictures in month or so but thanks to everyone whoes been reading!

Comments

  1. Hey Garrett. Glad to see you are enjoying your time there. I was watching a video on the Falls and remembered "Wait Garrett isnt to far from there". Keep having an amazing time and keep making a difference. I will share this with the Quartemaine community as well.
    -Duante'

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First is the worst.

Two years in review and new beginnings

PICTURES!