First is the worst.


Day 1 was just a big train wreck.  Just when I thought I had everything under control and I was ready for this, I get to the airport with my mom and Rodgers and I could not stop crying.  The poor people going through security with me.  This display was followed by delays and cancellations all over my airport, luckily my flight was not cancelled just delayed an hour, but we were loaded onto the plane and then sat on the runway for another hour because of excessive fog.   Needless to say I was late to orientation, but so was half the group. I guess we were all riding the strugglebus today.

My PC group consists 43 volunteers, or trainees since we are not technically volunteers yet,  between the ages of 23 and 65.  Its pretty 50/50 with regards to gender and our homes range from every part of the country possible.  Although there were a surprising number of people from green bay/milwaukee  (go pack go!).  My boyfriend also hails from the land of green and gold and will be addressed as Rodgers throughout the remainder of my blog.  As to the rest of my friends reading this, lets see if you can guess the aliases I have dubbed you all with.

The highlight to the day was needless to say dinner with LAB who goes to school in Philly.  Considering I havent seen them in almost a year it was a fabulous last meal of fish tacos and two beers and I couldnt think of a better way to part with the US of A.  I feel kinda bad that I tore her away from work/school longer than I anticipated but I dont feel THAT bad about it.

Also, in case no one has figured it out my phone number is now null and I do not have that number with me anymore - Ill reactivate it later when Im back stateside.  But I will be emailing you all with an African number suitable for texting if desired.




Comments

  1. Hey Garrett - Ducky and I love reading your posts already, so exciting. Today a co-worker asked us to keep her nephew in our prayers as he left for a Peace Corps assignment in Zambia. His 1st stop was Philly and we think you may be in the same group, especially after reading that many are from the Milwaukee area. He is from Milwaukee and his name is Anthony. Tell him his Aunt Joy says hello. May God bless you all on your journey. Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Garrett - Next week, I'll get the kids on Weds b/c they have an afterschool thing that day. Ha - I just felt like saying that for old times' sake. We all miss you very much, but are so excited to be following your big adventure and really admire what you are doing. Good luck with the jet lag, and keep us posted. Cathie

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad i got to see you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two years in review and new beginnings

PICTURES!